I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Survival Mode

For nearly six weeks now we've been in what I like to refer fondly as "survival mode" at our house.  Typically they are not this long, but we've had a perfect storm of events all conspiring to take us down.  Luckily we are sturdier than we look.

You all knew I was working on Seussical?  Yes.  And that Anna was in it?  Yes.  So while I was busy trying to get 200 costumes on stage, my dearest had rehearsal every night in Utah County for a month.  Did you know that I live in SLC?  yeah.  About 40 minutes away.  EVERY NIGHT.  And then performances (with matinees) for a week.  We made it through that , but before, and immediately after and still I am also interviewing for jobs ALL OVER THE FREAKIN' COUNTRY.  Seriously.  So for 3 or 4 days at a stretch, I've had to be gone (I'm leaving on my third this week).  Getting people to cover my classes, getting people to take care of The Citizens and run them around to all their stuff...and also do these costumes and teach and get ready for finals and blah blah blah blah.  You get the picture.  I'm sure you also go into Survival mode at your house, it is just for different reasons.

So what does survival mode look like:

  • The bare minimum of laundry gets done and you have to fish it out of the clothes basket yourself.  And if you don't tell me you need a particular something for a particular something?  It didn't get washed.  
  • Weeks of freezer or easy prep food.  Corn dogs, burritos, easy mac,  hot pockets, toast, bagels and applesauce.  Basically stuff kids can fix themselves.  Hardly nutritious.  This was novel for about a week and then they felt the gravity of the situation.
  • The basics got cleaned.  As in, the dishwasher was loaded and run every 3 days and then instead of unloading it, you just use the clean dishes from it.
  • Huck did not get a bath.  We all suffered for this one.
  • Homework.  You are practically on your own.  
  • Hair?  Yeah right.  It takes me 40 minutes to blow out those locks and then another 10 to curl them up again.  It has been pony tail/bun/tied up-o-rama round these parts.


The only thing that saved me was the fact the I neither had to shovel snow nor mow the lawn during this little spate.

I like to think that if you stopped by my house at this point you would merely think I must be really busy and not be grossed out, but I've been in such a fog, I really couldn't say.  And I'm pretty sure the kids still bathed regularly.  So there's at least that.

I'm grateful that we're nearly through.  I cooked dinner tonight for the first time in weeks, and The Citizens each walked through the kitchen and wanted to know who was coming over for dinner....the concept of me cooking for them had already grown so foreign.  But really, I got caught up on laundry this weekend, I have finals to give and grade this week, have one more interview to go and then we can settle into me not cooking for them by choice.

So what do you do when you have to prioritize?  How do you make do?  What do you let go?

No comments:

Post a Comment