I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My Photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Deeper Questions of The Universe: The Balance of Happiness

I'm a Libra.  We like balance.  This is why, as an essentially creative person I also get myself all in tizzy over label makers and color coded folders.  Don't get me started on how to make a spread sheet pretty.
I believe that there needs to be a balance in all things.
Great.  Hold that thought.

And you all KNOW I've claimed this year as my own, right?  And...its working.  I'm having a freaking awesome year so far.
Want to hear it?

  • Suddenly started having universities WANT to talk to me about full time jobs.
  • Got asked to design a killer show
  • Won a teaching award for being awesome
  • Figured out how to carve out a few minutes a week to exercise
  • My house isn't a total disaster (I did have that one rodent problem in my garage, but it didn't come in my house...)
  • Have finally let go of some the anger that has been slowly killing me the last TEN years
  • Discovered Churro Waffles (seriously, this is going to rank as one of the best things ever with my family)
  • Get to meet Ira Glass in a couple of weeks
  • AND as far as I can tell haven't made anyone new hate me
  • **I almost forgot: I have two book publishers I am working with on a textbook.  Geesh.  So much awesome, I can't even remember all of it.


So here's my Deeper Question of the Universe (actually it is two-part, so bear with me):

1.  Do we make our own luck?  Now don't get me wrong, I work really hard.  But I've been working really hard for years.  Has it just taken that long for the hard work to start paying off?  I also know people who work REALLY hard...and they have sucky lives.  So has their hard work not just yet paid off, or is there something else at work here?  And WHY that as soon as I stated that I was sick of having crappy years, and I demanded a good one, I got it?  It wasn't prayer.  Trust me, I don't go that route.

2.  AND if there is something else at work here, and there needs be balance in all things, and IF I am getting an unusual amount of awesome in my life, in order to restore balance to the universe, does someone else's life have to suck more?  In order for me to be above average happy and to have good things happen, do I rob someone else of that happiness?

Can you tell I've actually been feeling guilty about my awesomeness lately?  It could be that it is just an unfamiliar feeling, but I've witnessed some really crummy things happening to people around me recently, and I feel bad that I may have taken more than my fair share of the good news.

What do you think?  Discuss.

5 comments:

  1. OKay, so, not to go all new agey on you, but I happen to think that the suckiness and the awesomeness is out there, in spades, for the taking. It's sort of up to you how much you take of either. Not that sucky things don't happen. Just that a shift in perspective has a lot to do with how you experience life.

    Secondly, I do think that working your hiney off for years and years is finally paying off. It's kind of like studying for an exam - cramming ain't gonna cut it. Putting in all the time beforehand puts you into a position to accept the awesome in your life.

    And finally, LA, you have never been anyone who has gotten anything good that she didn't deserve. I've never known you to slack at anything - I mean, sure, I haven't known you in person for a few years - but girl, you had it going on as a teenager, and that kind of grit doesn't change. You rock. And you deserve every bit of awesome you can squeeze out of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't most of deserve a better life, though? So is it that we just don't take it?

      Delete
    2. No, I don't think that EVERYONE deserves a better life. And yes, I do think that it's because most people just don't take it.

      It sort of depends on how you define "deserve". I don't think that anyone DESERVES to be miserable, but there are people who create their own misery so, uh, yeah. They're gonna be. Because they are missing opportunities for awesome.

      I feel like I can say this with confidence because I've been on both sides of the equation. I've thought small, I've lived small, and I've gotten small in return. I mean, an actor who goes to one audition and doesn't get the role so gives up just isn't going to get very far, is she? So that's sort of where that grit and tenacity pays off. Not that everyone who tries to act is going to be successful, but just that opening yourself up to opportunities is going to pay off.

      And part of it is just a perspective thing, I think. Maybe you are working what appears to be a dead-end job at a call center. But you go to work every day, you take every opportunity that is offered to you, you work your hiney off, and after three years of doing that, you end up in a job you love with opportunities you never dreamed of. And the three years you spent in the call center and the three years before that couch surfing in LA and taking every job that comes your way, paid or unpaid, gives you a unique and valuable perspective and suddenly you're solidly middle class and flying to Chicago on the company dime.

      Er. I mean. Yeah, so that's me. But for you? Same thing. You're smart, talented, you work hard, you - YOU - deserve it.

      Delete
  2. No one else's life is sucking more because of your awesomeness nor your recent spate of good luck. I think it has more to do with a) your kids are getting older, b) you let go of some anger that freed up some negative space, c) exercise means you are taking some time for yourself.

    Oh and you forgot to mention your numerous book deal offers.

    May the rest of the year get better and better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I did forget the books! Geesh. :)

      Delete