I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Losing Sleep

So...I am NOT a morning person.  Most theatre people I know aren't.  It is hard to be a morning person when the bulk of your work day happens between 6-midnight.  The problem is, not only is it hard to get up, I find myself groggy a good portion of the day...until about 8:00 pm.  Hence the caffeine problem.

Anyway, a friend was touting the wonderousness of her new alarm clock, and since I am desperate not to feel quite so desperate about sleep all the time, I thought it might work for me.

I find that I sleep deepest in the early morning hours-I'm guessing between 4-7.  Even when I have a rough night of sleep, that is usually when I can nod off and catch a few hours--but that is exactly when I need to get up, waking me in the middle of some serious deep sleep cycles.

Introduce a light therapy alarm clock.  I was a bit skeptical, but the desperateness kicked in so I bought one from Costco knowing I could return it.  It took me about a month to get used to the thing (I've been using it almost 2 months now), but I LOVE IT.

This is how it works:  a half hour before you the alarm is set to go off, it begins to slowly change the room from dark to light.  Your eyes are sensitive to the light changing (like a sunrise) and although it doesn't wake you (or me, at least) it transitions you naturally out of that deep sleep.  Mine has a radio, which I have used as a waking device for years, but this one turns it on really really softly at first and then gets louder--so no more shocking sound to get you out of bed.

I still go through a series of snoozes (I am a sloooooow riser), but find that once I'm up, I'm awake. The biggest difference I've noticed is that I'm significantly less groggy throughout the day.  And by big difference, I mean huge.  Which must translate to more pleasant, don't you think?  I haven't gotten any outside confirmation on this, but in my heart it must be true.

You can adjust the level of brightness of the clock (I had it a bit too bright at first and it actually gave me a bit of headache) and like I said before took a little getting used to.  I'm not getting paid by the companies that make these, but you can read more about them here.  It sounds a bit hokey, but I'm a believer.

If you want to check them out, you can get this one on Amazon, or this one at Costco (this is similar to one I have although a bit more expensive-they had it on coupon which means they probably will again).

I'm seriously thinking of getting one of these for William, poor thing, he has my sleep wiring and getting him up and going in the morning is killing both of us.

**Post Edit:  I forgot to mention one of the best bits!  Because this clock slowly lights up the room, you never have to switch on a light on a cold dark winter's morning and then squint and shrink away from the light...it is already light.  I love this.

No comments:

Post a Comment