I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Family Photos

Last Saturday The Citizens and I had photos taken.  This is a big step for me, because 1.  I don't like to have my pictures taken and 2. Getting pictures of me & my two people (just me & my two people) is a big admission and *deletion* in our lives.

We had family pics taken about 2 1/2 years ago, because I really wanted to make sure Anna understood that no matter what, we were still a family and that she had at least one family photo from her
childhood with all of us.  Well...it was a near disaster and lead to a accusation that we were just "pretending".

Well, there is no more pretending.  There are only three of us, and I think, we look more complete than ever.

I've thought a lot about what makes up a family over the past month or so.  In the most recent week, Utah was able to get that stay on same-sex marriages from a Supreme court judge, and while I think a lot of people are disappointed, I don't think anyone is surprised.  The thing that got me thinking was the original state argument about how children do best with one mom and one dad.  Well...truthfully, how many families actually look like that anymore?  And while I have no grudge against traditional families that make it work, they are few and far between.  If the state's argument were true, what would be best for my people?  Well, I can tell you.  The person or persons who love them best.  And for us, that's me.

And while I'd love to take all the credit for them, the old adage is true: It takes a village.  I need their teachers, and Primary teachers and dance teachers and piano teacher.  I need neighbors and in laws and friends.  I need Megan to go get them from their theatre class because I'm stuck at a tech rehearsal and I need in laws to watch them overnight so I can go to a conference and I need Liberty to go get Anna who just puked at school, but since I commute on the train it will be an hour and half until I can get home.

Anyway.  I digress.
If you'd like to see a few of the pics and case out a good photographer for yourself, check it out:

Andee McDonald Photography.

Which ones do you like best?  I'm not a good judge, but I want a new pic for the main page of the blog, so help me pick!

4 comments:

  1. What beautiful family photos. I like the one you posted best...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the 4th one best where you are standing behind your kids and giving them a tight hug. I like it because you really see all of your faces, it is not too pose-y, and you all look deeply, deeply happy. A beautiful family. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you and you are amazing. And so right.

    ReplyDelete