I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bring It ON....

I am a very healthy person.  This is not to brag; it is a genetic thing that I have little control over and I will take it.  It has served me well over the years.  The most serious thing I can complain about is that I'm a bit allergic to nature. Achoo.

But for almost a year now, I've been uninsured.  I would have liked to be, but both the huge enormous places I work for took it upon themselves to limit the amount of time I could work so that they would not have to provide me insurance and also do not allow you to buy into their insurance (which I would gladly do).  Super moral.  Way to take the high road, guys.

So, like I said, I'm healthy.  But the what-ifs were plaguing me.  What IF I got hit by a bus?  Or a student.  I work on two college campuses...people are always getting hit by students.  Or What IF I only seem healthy but something dark and sinister is just festering below the surface.  Did you know the number one reason people are driven to bankruptcy is due to medical bills?  Seriously.  You can die OR you can have health care but go broke.  Those are grim choices.

Anyway, I've been excited about the Federal Health Care stuff, but that got a bit dampened by, well you know...that whole meltdown that was the launch of the website.  Geesh.  In fact, it was probably me all along.  I couldn't get it to process my application (which I tried to do very early on) and so I called in (sooooo many times) and every time they logged on to retrieve my application....the system shut down.  Ooops.  My bad.  So they removed my application and it kinda seemed like overnight things started working better.  Sorry about that.

Soooo, apparently they can't deny me an application, so they very carefully filled one out for me.  I wasn't allowed to touch it, and that did the trick.  Next thing you know I'm picking out a plan and paying my premium and lo and behold THE CARD came in the mail.  Which makes it official.  I am among the insured as of 1/1/14.  I haven't used it yet, and they were kind enough to assign me to a Dr. Levine as my G.P.  and I'm really hoping I don't have to use it soon, but I'm thrilled that I no longer have to worry about the What IFs.


No comments:

Post a Comment