I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Book Report: Good Omens

Good Omens; The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman


If you have not read this book, stop whatever you are reading right now and read this one.

I'm not actually kidding.  I've read this book several times, and tend to go get it and read it when I'm a bit of a slump because it is just so funny and irreverent that it puts me in a better mood almost immediately.

Also, there are witches and witchfinders and the child of an American attache that ends up being named Warlock and the Devil's child (the anti-Christ) who is supposed to end the world as we know it) ends up being raised completely normal in a village in England and who not-so-coincidentally is named Adam because of a mix-up with satanic nuns. And also Adam gets sent a hell hound for his eleventh birthday, and I think it ends up being a mutt terrier....seriously.

One of my favorite quotes from the book, right at the beginning:

"Firstly, God moves in extremely mysterious, not to say circuitous ways.  God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time."

That kinda sums it up.  Also there is a good angel and a fallen angel (featured on the cover of the book, they vary...I have the fallen angel on my cover, go figure) who are friends and who rather like the world.  The good angel misplaces his flaming sword repeatedly and the bad angel has a bad habit of turning all cassette tapes (the book came out in 1990..) into Queen's Best Hits.

So.  Feeling down?  Having a bit of a row with God, or religion or maintaining your sense of self in a crazy Christian freak show of a world?  Then this is a good book for you.  Or maybe you'll hate it, but then I can't see any reason for you to be on my blog, because you probably hate me too, and if I were the Bloggess, I could use my powers of language to tell you what to do and where to go and what to do with yourself, but I think some of my moms come on here and read my posts, so I won't.  But I'm thinking it.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds almost worth breaking the Sabbath for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if you are going to break the Sabbath for a book, THIS IS THE PERFECT BOOK.

      Delete