I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Book Report: The Lowland

The Lowland
by Jhumpa Lahiri

The most recent novel by Ms. Lahiri and a favorite of mine.  She also has a very poetic writing style.  I love when the words seems to form images so effortlessly.  I'm a visual reader-meaning, I form images of the story I'm reading in my head as I read-kind of like a movie.  I was surprised to learn a few years back that not everyone reads like this.  I actually do this with everything.  If you tell me an event that happened to you...I will picture it.  It makes for some very uncomfortable images sometimes that I can't erase.

Anyway, I've loved previous books by this author: The Namesake, Interpreter of Maladies (a Pulitzer Prize winner) and Unaccustomed Earth.  So I was excited when this book came out and requested it from the library before they even had a copy (I love to be the first one to christen a library book...I don't know why, but I do).

This one is a full novel (some of her books are collections of short stories) and follows her traditional view of a native born Indian who moves to the U.S. and then unfolds their life from there.

The main character in this book, Subhash grows up very close with his brother in Calcutta, but as his brother becomes more involved with political groups Subhash goes away to graduate school in the U.S.  The story then takes a turn when Subhash returns to India upon the death of his brother and meets his sister-in-law, also a student in Calcutta.  We then follow their lives and the complications that follow duty and regret and personal sorrow.

While not a light book, it is not terribly long, and not a difficult book to read.  Perfect to curl up with over a long weekend by the fire.

**You can follow me on Goodreads by following the link on the left side of the blog.  Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment