I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

That's One Sick Puppy

So Huck was sick.

We left for fall break and when we came back he was not the same.  I assumed he was depressed, since the people we leave him with have a little dog and totally pamper him by letting him do things like SLEEP ON THEIR BED.  He does not have this luxury at home.  He sleeps in a kennel, where all dogs who like to pee on the floor in the middle of night should sleep.
Waiting for the vet

But then he wouldn't go up and down the stairs.  I know this because for some reason someone (no names) dropped a goldfish cracker in the middle of the stairs and it was there for DAYS, because any dropped food at our house usually does not last more than a few seconds so I don't bother much with it.

And then his tail...it was tucked firmly between his legs.

So after a week, I broke down and took him to the vet.  I hate this because they often can't tell any better than you can and then several HUNDRED dollars later they let you leave.

Here he is at the vet.  He wouldn't look at me, but mostly just stared at the door waiting for the vet to come in.
video





And then she examined him and my totally lazy, worthless guard dog of a hound tried to bite the vet.  He's never tried to bite anything in his life.

Turns out he had a staph infection all over his belly and bum and hurt his back somehow.  Probably wasn't broken, though.

Well, that was a week and a half ago, and he's only just now returning to himself.  He's been on a steady stream of antibiotics and pain killers since then, and today, his tail was half way raised and wagging and he chased something.  He still can't/won't jump up on Williams bed (his favorite place to be) but he's on the mend.

While he was sick, the vet had me give him soft food in case there was something intestinal going on.  He'd never had it, and since he's been on a diet (ineffectual diet, I might add) for months his food routine is pretty boring.  He wolfed it down in about 1.2 seconds and then seemed to regret it, just licking his bowl over and over again longingly.

Anyway.  He was pretty pathetic, but seems to be feeling better.  Several of you had asked me about him since I posted pictures of him a couple of weeks ago.  Thank you for your concern.  He is happily lying on the floor in my room right now snoring away.

No comments:

Post a Comment