I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Zion National Park

Anna took this money shot for her Reflection entry.
Immediately after surviving tech for The Opera, The Citizens had Fall Break.  We didn't get in our annual camping trip this summer, so we set off for Zion.  I've actually booked this same trip every fall break for the last three years.  You have to do it six months in advance if you want to get a camping space...but one year a show got in the way, one year everyone got sick.

THIS year, of course, The government got involved in trying to keep us from a National Park (don't try to tell me this wasn't a conspiracy...) but luckily all sorts of small business owners from Southern Utah threw a fiscal fit and the governor wired money to D.C. to get it back open.  (This is a true story.  Utah had to actually wire money to the federal government...no trust there.)

The hike to the Narrows
So the park opened, the show didn't collapse and we took off Thursday.  I only forgot one sleeping back and the cooking utensils, which really doesn't seem too bad considering I had been in tech the night before.  Luckily my sister lives a quick 30 minutes down the road so I went and got the needed supplies from her.









We allowed an extra guest on this trip, which in retrospect was probably not a good idea, and will probably not happen again (unless it is the Pugmire-Hinmon clan.  We like camping with them).




Did I mention I gave birth to a mountain goat?






It was colder than usual this year, so we were all pretty snug in our tent and sleeping bags by about 9:00 every night.  Seriously.  When was the last time you went to bed at 9pm?












Zion is so pretty.  I grew up down there, but it had been a few years since I'd been there with The Citizens, and we'd never camped.

Lower Emerald Pool






Zion is a great park for kids, older folks or some of us middlers who aren't as fit as we should be.  There are LOTS of pretty tame, but beautiful hikes like Weeping Rock, Emerald Pools and the hike to the Narrows.










Slightly more oomph gets you to the upper emerald pool, Into the Narrows (not recommended for this time of year brrrrr....) or Canyon Overlook.



Mountain Goats!  Actual ones!
 For the Adventurous go for Angel's Landing.

Zion has this awesome tunnel built right into the rock.  Started in 1927 it stretches over a mile and there are windows carved into one side so you can see through to the arch.  I am constantly amazed when we go to these National Parks the engineering feats you see there.  I love that tunnel.




Canyon Overlook.  My chosen final resting place.
And yes, Wm was hiking in his pajamas.

My favorite hike is the one just on the other side of the tunnel-Canyon Overlook.  This is where I want my ashes sprinkled.

Anna is still young enough that she was excited to do the Jr. Ranger program; I guess that ship has sailed in the brave new world of coolness with the Other Citizen.




Grafton Cemetery





We took a side detour one day over to Grafton (maybe a 20 minute drive outside the park), which as I remembered it from when I was a kid, was a run down ghost town.  It is still pretty cool, but do-gooders have been there and done all sorts of refurbishing of building and clearly took a few of the really dangerous ones down.











If you'd like more info about the park, go here.  If you'd like to come and do a grand tour of some great National Parks in the Southwest, let me know.  I'll set you up.


No comments:

Post a Comment