I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Monday, July 8, 2013

The Cons of "Creative" Work

I had myself a right meltdown the other day.  They don't happen often (all things considered) thank goodness.  A friend asked me what set it off....and the truth is, I don't really remember.  It was probably something significant like having to change a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom or I dropped a pillow or something...like many people, my frustrations with life and daily stresses build up.  And Up.  AND UP.  BAM!

It took me a couple of days to truly recover.  I'm not a hunker down and die person, nor am I prone to depression, but we all have our limits.  Even when stressed or sad or whatever, I still function. But something (other than all the %*&# life  regularly dishes out-which never seems to cease) was out of whack.  I'm a Libra and by nature I tend to like order and balance in all things.  I am out of balance.

So Saturday, instead of folding laundry and polishing the legs of my kitchen table I got on the interwebs and found a project and starting knitting.  And felt better.  Not completely whole, but better.

Then I realized, that in my quest to work and succeed and provide for my family, I had essentially shelved one of the most important facets of myself-my need to create.  I was out of balance.  I was letting a small, but essential part of myself die. So yesterday, I set aside my much coveted Sunday afternoon nap, and knitted a bit more.  And felt better.

I think sometimes when you work in a "creative" field you forget to take time to be creative...for no other purpose than just because.  I work in theatre and spend my days surrounded by creative people with creative pursuits and ideas and projects.  It is wonderful.  But it is my livelihood.  My house payment lives and dies by the amount of "creativity" I can shove into a non-standard work week. And when you do it for your job...sometimes it becomes just that...a job.

So I knitted.  And watched Monarch of the Glen by recommendation.  Anna keeps asking what I am making it for. Absolutely, nothing, my dear.  She hopes this means my imperfect little elephante is up for grabs.  And it probably is. As will be the rabbit after that and the hippo after that...

2 comments:

  1. Excellent. What a great post. I need to do this more often. Love you, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bleh. It is hard to justify doing essentially nothing when there is so much stuff we are supposed to care about needs doing...but we gotta. We just gotta.

    ReplyDelete