I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Monday, April 15, 2013

There are Mermaids in Hell (or Whatcha Up to La?)

If Dante had ever heard of mermaids, he would have dedicated a special level of hell just for them. I'm sure of it.

This past week was a little tough.  But lucky for you, my personal trials end up being good weekend entertainment for you.

I've been in technical rehearsal for two shows over the past week.  The Mikado, at UVU opened last weekend and runs through Saturday.  First off, let it be known that no person should ever HAVE to work on TWO Gilbert and Sullivan shows at the same time (I'm also in pre-production of Pirates of Penzance...)  it is too much.  I can't keep any of it straight.  Let it also be known that I am not a big fan of The Mikado, and if you are a normal sane person, you probably aren't either, so it was with a feeling of abuse and drudgery that I went to tech.





I typically don't design or work on the shows over at UVU, but I teach the makeup classes and mentor students through the design process and then attend tech to make sure everything goes well.  But I must say...I laughed outright all night and even snorted a few times.  It was very funny.  And my student did a fun job with some crazy wig thingies.
Ticket info here.









And because idle hands are Satan's tool or some such thing, I went straight from that into tech for my BIG show of the year, The Little Mermaid Jr. with Center Stage Children's Theatre in Pleasant Grove.  85 kids, each with 3-4 costumes each.  I've been working on this one for months.  Every year, this show nearly kills me.







All things considered, it went amazingly smoothly and I finished up tech tonight and still have just enough energy and brain power to blog...so I guess it can't be that bad.  This show plays at the Covey on Center Street in Provo through Saturday also.  The kids range in age from 7-17 and they give it their all.  This was a fun show to design...lots of sea creatures and mermaids.  My backyard has looked like a deep sea graveyard for weeks, and I've used enough spray paint to make me less coherent than usual.


This is why I get to write off my car on my taxes...






















This is the shortened Jr. version, and is lively and colorful and has all the songs your kids probably already know, so would make a good family outing.  Info here.
Here's a peek from tonight's final dress rehearsal.





For those of you following the conversation on Facebook-
There's a good shot of the questionable squid in the upper-
left hand side...

So if you live in or near Utah County, go support some great local theatre!  It's too warm to ski and it's too cold do anything else...so indoor theatre seems like a good option.

No comments:

Post a Comment