I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Recipe: Mexican Couscous


I was looking for a recipe to fancy up taco night at our house.  Something like mexican rice, but not mexican rice, because mexican rice is seldom very good.  Sort of bland--like it wanted to have flavor but just gave up as soon as it started.  Also I wanted easy.  I browsed around on Pinterest for awhile and read through a couple of interesting recipes using quinoa or couscous, but didn't have all the ingredients for any of them.

So I sorta combined the ideas from a couple of them using stuff I had...like the Israeli couscous.  I like it because it is bigger little balls of couscous pleasure.  You could probably substitute in regular, though (I mean, who am I to judge?  I didn't follow any recipe!).

This turned out a bit more substantial than regular ole' Mexican rice and made a good side dish to go with our run-of-the-mill tacos.


Mexican Couscous

1/2 onion chopped finely
1 TBsp olive oil
1 can tomatoes, chopped (but keep juice!)
1 cup of chicken broth
1/2 cup salsa
1 clove garlic
1 1/2 cups dry Israeli couscous
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
juice from 1 lime
2 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
green onion, cilantro & avocado to garnish




Heat olive oil in a large pot or saucepan on medium heat; saute onions until soft and clear.  Add canned tomatoes with juice, salsa, garlic and chicken broth; bring to a simmer.  Add couscous and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes (I'm not sure you would have to do it that long regular couscous...).  Turn heat to low, add corn and beans; heat through.  Stir in Chili powder, lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.  Serve immediately with green onion, cilantro and avocado garnish.

If you like a bit of kick, you may want to up the Chili powder or add in some green chili, but this was perfect for kids and those with sensitive palettes.

*note: I didn't actually have Cilantro...but I do think it would be yummy.  You know...If you were actually planning this and went to the grocery store instead of just digging through the pantry to see what you could find.


No comments:

Post a Comment