I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Book Review: Shoulder the Sky

Shoulder the Sky (World War One #2)
by Anne Perry


This is the second book in this series by the English historical Novelist Anne Perry.  I like historical novels.  It really gives you the best of both worlds.  Kinda like watching Downton Abbey.  You get a great story set in another time period, with real events as the backdrop, but they are fictional characters that you can do whatever you want with.  Well...WE can't do whatever we want with them, that's what the author is for...but you get the idea.  They are not necessarily bound by all those pesky facts people seem determined to make a thing.  I'm a theatre person...all facts all the time have no place in my world.

So this book continues into WWI with the Reavely family each contributing to the war effort in their own particular way.  There is, of course, a murder, of a wholly unlikeable character and which, quite frankly no one wants solved, but Jospeh Reavely is duty bound to figure out.  I am not sure I have quite that staunch a moral sensibility.  And much of it is set in the trenches.  Ms. Perry's descriptions of life at the front are horrid (not her writing, but her non-glamorous view) and makes me wonder how those men came home and returned to their lives.

And while fiction, it is not terribly silly or frivolous (like Downton Abbey) which you often get in a murder mystery.  It does not however read like a history book, and other than the details of the trenches isn't going to teach you too terribly much about WWI.  It has a touch of romance, but not much, and shouldn't spoil it if you are not into that sort of thing.

I liked it.  It wasn't a guilty pleasure and the book jacket didn't embarrass me on public transport, but it was still fiction and didn't make me think too hard (we all need that sometimes, right?).

The next book in the series is  Angels in the Gloom.
Go here for the review of the first book in the Series No Graves as Yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment