I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

And Then There Was Juice

I don't know about you, but my December existed in a far away place where there is no such thing as "calorie count."  And when you live in that world and it is Christmas time and you don't have to go to work for a couple of weeks, a few things happen:


You notice the world is covered in chocolate.  Literally.  All for the licking.  All day.

 When you get to do an extraordinary activity like go to a movie you do things like eat two whole buckets of popcorn with butter (to be fair, Les Mis was nearly 3 hours long, so that's really like two movies with a bucket of popcorn each).

Every time you turn around someone is handing you a special treat they made themselves from their great-grandma's recipe and they only make it once a year and they can't even believe they are sharing it with you.

You get the idea.  By the time January 1 rolled around I was so loaded up I think I developed some sort of filmy eye cataract that was just a sugary coating on my eyeball.  So I was ready for a new year thing.  I'd also been drinking too much caffeine and still feeling sluggish all the time and was getting bored of the two pairs of pants that I could still wriggle into.

So I did what any self-respecting American does in this situation: I went to Costco.  And bought a Juicer.  And a whole heckofalotta organic matter.

I've never done a juice thing before (mainly cause I didn't have a juicer) so I am a novice juicer.

Day 1:
Grapefruit Carrot Juice.
Not bad.  I like grapefruit so this wasn't too hard to like.




Day 2: Beet & Carrots & mint.  It seems like most the juices have carrots.  Is it because they juice well or are readily available pretty cheap or are just THE symbol of health?
Ok.  Beets are deadly with color.  And your body does not digest all that vibrant color either....













Day 3: Green machine smoothie.  This one was a recipe for the blender and had Kale, parsley, apples, pineapple and mango?   I think there is another ingredient...
I do not have a good blender.  It looks like it should be, but I cannot get anything terribly smooth in it.  I let the thing blend for a good while, but it was still the consistency of what I imagine cow's cud to be.  I find sticking the straw all the way down my throat and just pumping in the health as quickly as possibly a good way to eat this breakfast.









Day 4: This one had pineapple and mango.  And probably carrots.  I could go look up these recipes, but I am tired.  It was delicious.  I am a big fan of the tropical fruits.

Day 5: I don't follow a recipe but blend my own juice without use of kale, beets or carrots.  I use up all the leftover pineapple and mango and some oranges and tangerines I found in the back of the fridge.

Whew.  I must say having a juice is kind of like having a tiny version of a wood chipper right in your kitchen.  And who doesn't like to use a wood chipper?

I have to say a little more than a week into it and it is going pretty well.
I kept a pretty strict diet the first week with the juice for breakfast and salads and such for the remainder of the day.  I've loosened up a bit and am eating grains and meats again, but I feel good and have won back at least one pair of pants.

What are you going to kick yourself back into gear for the new year?

No comments:

Post a Comment