I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Monday, December 31, 2012

Book Review: At Home

At Home: A Short History of Private Life
By Bill Bryson


If you are a Bill Bryson fan, this is the latest. It is a "historical" type book in that it traces the beginnings of all the rooms and many of the comforts of a home.
At one point in the book he says "Houses aren't refuges from history. They are where history ends up."
Being a lover of all things history, I like it.  Perhaps not quite as much as A Short History of Nearly Everything, but loved the focused nature of this particular book.
Want to know how the bathroom got all its features?  Its in the book.

You get the idea that he wanted to know something one day, lets say, about when people decided to build and then sleep in beds...and then one thing led to another.
I appreciate his seemingly endless curiosity.
I learned a lot about my house and its odd quirks.
My only negative comment to Mr. Bryson: I don't think you did your homework on corsets.

No comments:

Post a Comment