I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Monday, November 5, 2012

So You Might Be A Democrat IF...


*Warning: Explicit use of the D-word in this post.

I live in a red state.  Not pink or “red” or Red or even redRED.  As in neither presidential candidate even bothered to come here.  I’ve maintained my political neutrality over the years, feeling that a two party system is one of the things that is bringing us down as a country (this is not a new idea, BTW; Adams was vehemently opposed to this system and he was there from before the beginning) but I find myself, recently, starting to take sides.
This is tricky.  When you live in a world where people (still) think that the Mormon Church endorses and encourages its members to vote a particular way and when your neighbors will judge you according to your political leanings, taking any side but the RED side can ostracize you from your community. I can’t say I don’t have opinions when I do, and when I also feel free to express them (thank you Facebook and the constitution) but I never actually declare my affiliation.  Technically, I’ve maintained my “Independent” status.  But the truth is, I’m suspicious of myself.   I may be outing myself here, but here are some guidelines I’ve created for myself to try to determine on which side of the fence I linger longer.

So you might be a Utah Mormon Democrat and not even know it if:
 
1.    You are not a Republican.  This is apparently pretty important.  You may not have thought you identified with the Democrats all the way, but the very fact that you don’t think you’re a Republican automatically bumps you to the left.
2.    You think diversity is good.  There should be two sides to every conversation.  Not necessarily disagreement, name-calling, judgment or otherwise, but true discussion taking into account various opinions and viewpoints.
3.    That poverty is not always a choice and that we are stronger as a society when the haves share with the have-nots.
4.    That basic healthcare is for everyone.  And that just because someone doesn’t happen to have a great job that offers a nice insurance doesn’t mean they are the scourges of society for wanting it.
5.    You don’t necessarily want to get rid of all the guns, but don’t understand why we can’t have a conversation about the consequences of all those guns.
6.    You thought about being a suffragette for Halloween.  You probably wanted to do this because you think women should get equal pay for equal work.  The fact that this wasn’t a law until 2010 is astonishing.  Thanks Lilly Ledbetter!
7.    You don’t think the government has any right to any part of your reproductive life.  Not your contraceptives or your access to them.
8.    You may not believe in abortion for yourself, but you respect that fact that it may be the right choice and their very own choice for someone else.  Because not every woman who seeks an abortion is just out thoughtlessly whoring.  But you think that girl has rights too.
9.    You don’t think illegal aliens are the source of all our problems.
10. You think there should be marriage equality.  Trust me, the gays are not destroying marriage.  We’d already done that, and if two people who love each other and want to commit to one another somehow degrade a heterosexual union….well, then I’m not sure it had much going for it anyway.
11. You like the government.  You like safe foods and toys and roads and airplanes.  You like National Parks and Mt. Rushmore.  You don’t necessarily care for war, but see the importance of a military.  Military=government.  You maybe needed a student loan to get through college.  You like that when you go to buy a house or a car, the bank can’t just decide to charge you one billion percent interest—just because.  You like the Internet. A lot.

In short if you answered yes to (let’s pick an arbitrary number here….) FIVE or more of the above, you may be a Democrat.  I might be a Democrat. 
There.  I’ve said it and posted it.  I’ve outed myself.  Let the isolation and name-calling begin.  You can unfriend me on Facebook and question my integrity and my testimony.  But I’m still the same insane person I was yesterday, but today I got politics.

My Obama sign finally came a couple of weeks ago, and as I resolutely marched out front to plant into the lawn, William (who is proud that we think “differently” laughed and shook his head.  “Oh mom.  What have you done?”  Because even he recognizes that thinking something and proudly displaying it on your lawn are two entirely different things.  

I don't know how the election will turn out tomorrow.  I'm happy there is a Mormon running.  But I'm not voting for him.  You can.  And I respect your right (I'm talking to you: the entire state of Utah) to do so.  I like my RED state. I will be up late watching the election coverage like most people.  I won't cry if Obama loses; I'll give the Mittster a chance.  Maybe he'll prove me wrong.  Maybe I'll also get a unicorn for Christmas....wearing a "Votes for Women" banner, of course.

1 comment:

  1. I love you. this is beautiful. Funny, yes indeedy, but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete