I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Set the Date

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.  Most of you know this because you've seen the pink ribbons go up everywhere, and yet most of us will not do anything about it, but the stats surrounding breast cancer are a little scary.
Here's a sample I took off of cancer.org


The American Cancer Society’s most recent estimates for breast cancer in the United States are for 2012:
  • About 226,870 new cases of invasive breast cancer in women
  • About 63,300 new cases of carcinoma in situ (CIS) will be found (CIS is non-invasive and is the earliest form of breast cancer).
  • About 39,510 deaths from breast cancer (women)
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women in the United States, other than skin cancer. It is the second leading cause of cancer death in women, after lung cancer.
The chance of a woman having invasive breast cancer some time during her life is about 1 in 8. The chance of dying from breast cancer is about 1 in 36. Breast cancer death rates have been going down. This is probably the result of finding the cancer earlier and better treatment. Right now there are more than 2.9 million breast cancer survivors in the United States.

Did you read that?  YOUR chances of having breast cancer at some point are 1 in 8.   YOUR chance of dying from breast cancer is 1 in 36.  I'm not a statistician, but I've bet on a few horses in my day and those odds don't look too good to me.
So I've sorta got a big birthday coming up... and I'm also just about to lose my health care coverage (which if the republicans get their way, social degenerates like me don't deserve anyway) so I'm going to lose the luxury of preventative care.  My doc, who is awesome, sent me in for the mammogram.  I'm a good girl, so I went this morning.  The ladies at the clinic were so nice and it really isn't that big a deal and they're having a drawing for this cool basket for everyone that comes in.




I also had an experience where one my many "mothers " was diagnosed with breast cancer this year.  It was pretty serious.  She's gone through surgery and Chemo and radiation and the indignity of losing her hair.  But she was lucky.  We can all be lucky.

The fancy "cape" you get you wear...I'd have taken
more photos, but there really isn't much to see except for my
exceptionally perky breasts.
I'm too young to want to deal with breast cancer.  I have two young kids and busy life.  Quite frankly, I don't have time for breast cancer.  And so I got checked.  It took maybe 30 minutes.  Set the date.  Go in.  Don't risk it.  There are going to be free or low cost clinics everywhere this month if you don't have health insurance.  That is actually one of the biggest services many Planned Parenthood Clinics offer (with their devious feminist ways).






The bonus of the day is that I let myself have a much deserved treat and the tech who took the mammogram told me I have very perky breasts for woman who nursed two babies.  Why thank you.  I'm going to put that on my "All About Me" page.
The second bonus is that they give you these little packages of deoderant. I kind of wanted to steal them all and stick them in my desk at work.  Brilliant.


Set the Date.  Do it now.


**Update:  I just this posted on facebook.  If you live along the Wasatch Front, here is a mobil mammo coming to a location near you



No comments:

Post a Comment