I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

It is finally fall!  I know that technically it was last week, but October 1 seems like the day it should really be.  I can see colors up on the mountains and I've started making the soup, much to the chagrin of The Citizens, but who cares what they think, because it also means it is PUMPKIN SEASON.  (I had to put that all in caps so you would know, without a doubt, that this is a big deal and can adjust your own thoughts and feelings on the subject accordingly)

I started experimenting with some good ole' fashioned pumpkin cookies a month or so...you know, for the kids, and this is what I've settled on.  I like em'.  It is a pretty easy recipe, and although you could probably do either the chocolate chips OR the cream cheese frosting, there is no need to deny yourself real pleasure, especially, if you are like me, you convince  yourself you are really making these because you need to give some of them to someone and you just happen to benefit from your own generosity.  I am kind and good like that...always thinking of others....



Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting


Pumpkin Cookies:
1 Cup Shortening
3 Cups Sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 large (30 oz) can pumpkin  (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 tsp. vanilla
5 cups flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups chocolate chips

Mix the shortening and Sugar together until light & fluffy; add eggs, pumpkin & vanilla. Mix up all your dry ingredients together, then add them to the butter batter.  Mix just until everything is combined.  Add chocolate chips, again just barely mixing them in completely.
I use a cookie scoop because the uniformity of the cookies makes me happy, but you could also just drop them onto your baking sheets.
Bake @ 350 for about 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely & then frost them with Cream Cheese Frosting.





Cream Cheese Frosting:
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces, slightly softened (I like mine still a little cold so it doesn’t get too soft)
½ teaspoons vanilla extract

I dump it all into the food processor and give it a good whirl.  Delicious.

*Cookies here were sprinkled with a titch of cinnamon, but mostly that is to make them extra pretty.




No comments:

Post a Comment