I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

There is Oddness All Around

**If you are Mormon, you sang that title, didn't you...admit it.

I see a lot of odd things in the course of a normal day.  I work in theatre, so that automatically puts me in with strange bed-fellows, but even if you were to take that area of my life out, there is a lot of crazy  @*&%#! out there.  Of course, quite a bit of the really naughty stuff I see isn't really naughty at all, but in a brief glance I constantly mix the letters in words up and they almost always amount to no good.
Lest I be taken for a cynic or potty brain, I see a lot of beautiful, worthy and wonderful stuff in a day too.  But it is less interesting.

Here's a round up of the Oddities as of late:



Um....Mountain Dew A.M.  I can't decide if this is brilliant or revolting.

This is actually just interesting.  And lest you start judging me, I've been working a LOT of nights lately.  That requires my favorite pick-me-up/legal stimulant and this place gives you a big one for $1 and I didn't have to get out of my car.




But if you look close (I'll make the picture big)--THERE IS A CALORIE COUNT FOR EVERYTHING ON THE MENU.  I think this is big.  I know lots of people won't be swayed while ordering, but let me tell you, I wasn't exactly shocked by how many calories were in the food, but I couldn't just ignore it either.  Of course, since I rarely eat this particular food now that I have brainwashed the citizens into thinking it is nasty, this is not a big deal.  But Woah.



This one is just plain odd.  Speed Limit 5.36??  Just exactly how am I supposed to go
a. that slow or
b. that exact?




Ok.  In full disclosure, I've served a mission and since I come from a non-LDS family they had no clue what to send on holidays.  My first Christmas out my dad sent me a 10 lb.  Salami.  I'm not kidding about that.  My mom send me a book of Portuguese love poetry.  All useful as a missionary (a missionary that had been a vegetarian when she left, dad).  I may be an artist, but I have a love of all things practical too.  And I'm not even sure where this falls.  Aprons are dead useful....in real life.  I'm not sure how useful it is to a missionary.  AND I'm not sure how thrilled your missionary would be to get one of these aprons.  I'm not sure if you can see their little tag line "The perfect gift for any missionary."  Really??  I'm not sure an apron is always the perfect gift for everyone, let alone every missionary....They may not have food.  Or a kitchen.  OR they may live in a large U.S. area and get fed every single meal of the month.  And when have 19 year old boys ever been good at feeding themselves something that even had to be refrigerated let alone cooked?  But hey, good for you finding a teeny tiny niche and filling it, you mini-van driving entrepreneurs!




And this is weird merchandizing.  In the dollar section at Target you can buy a little card with yarn on it.  Yarn.  A couple of yards of yarn.  What the hell is this for?  What new and exciting thing is the NEW THING that would make some buyer at Target think "I think I"ll sell little cards of YARN  for a dollar!  People will be all over this."


I saw some other strange stuff too and made a mental note to look it up on the internets, but since I only made a mental note....















No comments:

Post a Comment