I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Friday, September 14, 2012

Deeper Questions of the Universe: Wherein Cinderella Reveals Her REAL shoe size

So you might not think a toothbrush, such an ordinary object in pretty much every household could help you broach difficult subjects with your children.  But then again, maybe this is no ordinary toothbrush.
It all started about 2 weeks ago when at a dental checkup it was revealed that Anna had a cavity.  In fact, this is the 2nd checkup in a row with a cavity.  This is kind of a big deal...we are not cavity prone people.  I did not have one despite dubious oral hygiene and no regular dentist visits until I was in my twenties.  Our dentist honestly looked kind of devastated.  We were the longest running no-cavity family in his practice.  So clearly, Anna needed some help with her brushing and flossing.  So I thought that maybe an electric toothbrush might help be more thorough and so when I went to Target, I found this: A Cinderella electric toothbrush for $5.  Perfect.
Except that that night when I pulled it out, Anna, with her unerring perception, peered closely at it and said "Mom.  I think Cinderella is a man."
This, of course, got everyone's attention and we all had to admit....Cinderella was a He/She.
This, in turn lead to a pretty lengthy discussion about how there are all sorts of people.  They already knew about men loving men and women loving women, but the idea that some people feel that they were born into the wrong body, or that some men might like to wear women's clothes...well, those were new ideas.  I have to say, it sounds serious, but since every 5 seconds someone would make some new observation about Cinderella we would all giggle a little bit.  Interestingly enough, Anna only commented once (about men in women's clothes) that she thought that was weird.  Just different, I explained.  She seemed satisfied with that.  I hope that when they encounter people who believe and act and love differently than them along their life (and they will), they will remember: not bad, not weird, just different.
Of course, poor Cinderella isn't getting any respect at all.  And to be fair, the Chinese factory that made this toothbrush clearly does not have a grasp on our obsession with delicate princesses.

So here's my Deeper Question of the Universe: How do you approach difficult subjects with your children?

2 comments:

  1. can i just say that i absolutely love coming to your blog and this post inparticular made me extra happy! i think kids will accept and understand anything that their parents tell them is "ok and normal" i mean, if you can tell your kids that a fat man in a red suit comes down the chimney and leaves toys at night, then you should be able to tell them some guys wear girls clothes. people make such a big deal with how others live their lives and i think that's how kids become confused and .. well... mean. if you just show your kids that everyone is different and that's perfectly fine, i think the world will be a much more loving accepting place. good for you!! but on another note, that brush is freaky lookin!! awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is freakish! But yes, I think that tolerance (and bigotry) are largely a learned behaviors. If it isn't a big deal to me, it probably won't be a big deal to them.

      Delete