I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sewing Camp

We spent the week hosting Sewing Camp at my house.
What?  Doesn't that sound super exciting to you??
NO?  Well then perhaps you and I have a different definition of fun.
7 little girls.  5 sewing machines.  Two irons.














I have a philosophy that you have to get em' young.  If these girls wait until they hit Jr. High to learn anything about sewing--well, it will be too late.  They'll be all into their hair and makeup and music and stuff.



But sewing is a real skill and can also be a very fulfilling hobby.  It can also do things like pay for COLLEGE, which is no small accomplishment.  Whilst many of my roommates were cleaning toilets at 4:00 am, I had a flexible schedule sewing costumes for the theatre department.  It is not a bad reason to learn to sew.  And still it helps pay for things around my house.  Like Edna, our new dishwashing slave.  Or this computer.  Or accordion lessons....well, maybe teaching paid for that one.







Anyway.  We got on quite well except for the damn pins.  The kits I bought had tiny straight pins which the girls could not, for some reason, stick into their pin cushions.  They might as well have taken handfulls of the tiny swords and throw into the air like confetti.  That and they kept trying to burn my house down with the iron.  I might need a new ironing board cover...but I will probably wait until our other camp sessions are over.


















No comments:

Post a Comment