I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Recipe: Peanut Butter Cookies

We don't eat much actual peanut butter in these parts...having a kid with an allergy puts a damper on that sort of thing.  Luckily, my other kid who loves peanut butter will also eat all the other butters than don't kill her sibling, so we're good.  So despite the fact that I make a mean PB cookie, I probably only make them every couple of years.  But I had a request in this last week from a colleague who came to guest lecture for me.  *note* if you come and guest lecture for me, I make the treat of your choice...food for thought.  
This is a good recipe.  It is heavier on the PB than most recipes, which is what makes them super good.  We also only bake ours until just done...we like em' soft.  I also use creamy PB, but you could sub in the chunky kind if that is what floats yer boat.


Peanut Butter Cookies the La way

1 1/2 cups creamy Peanut Butter
1 cup vegetable shortening or margarine
2 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
6 Tb milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda

Combine PB, shortening or margarine, brown sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl or mixer.  Beat at medium speed until well blended.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating slightly in between.  Beat until just blended.  Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda.  Add flour mixture to PB mixture at low speed, mixing until just blended.  Dough will be very soft.  Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls (or use a cookie scoop dipped in water) 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Flatten slightly in crisscross pattern using tines of a fork (this also goes better if you dip fork in water between each cookie--be sure to shake off extra water--you don't want soggy cookies).  Bake at 375 for 7-9 minutes or until set and just barely beginning to brown.  Cookies will appear soft and moist.  Cool 2-3 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to cooling rack.



*As a side note, I learned this time around that this dough does not do well being refrigerated.  The cookies spread too much and even with extended baking time seemed a bit doughy...


No comments:

Post a Comment