I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Queen, a Spoon & Letters Abroad

As you are probably well aware It is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee this week.  I am fairly fascinated with the British Royalty ever since watching Diana's wedding when I was 9.  I know that I have, stashed away in a box full of family memories and stuff to be handed down through the ages a few trinkets from the Queen's coronation. When my grandmother was in high school, living in Plainsville, Kansas she somehow acquired a pen pal from England.  They were still writing, when my grandmother, now a young married gal received a gift from her pen pal (I think her name was Dorothy) containing several souvenirs from the coronation.  If I remember correctly there is a spoon (didn't everyone collect spoons in the 50's?) and maybe a teacup?  I need to find those.  Decades later, my family received a lovely note from Dorothy after my grandmother passed away.  They had written one another for probably more than 40 years.  To my knowledge, they never met.  I know my grandmother never left the states.

Last Sunday, CBS rebroadcast a little segment on the Royal School of Needlework.  You may not find this fascinating, but I do.  As a modern woman with a quest to know how to do everything (and well, at that!) I would love to get my stubby calloused fingers to work on something like this.

1 comment:

  1. La, I will move to England for the particular purpose of being your pen pal.

    ReplyDelete