I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Book Review: The Importance of Being Earnest

The Importance of Being Earnest
by Oscar Wilde

I don't know how familiar you are with Oscar Wilde, but he is hilarious.  Even 100 years later...really really funny.  He was quite the character in his own day too.  A bit over the top with his velvet knickers and all, but that flamboyance pays off in his work.  Well...I guess he wasn't always funny.  The Picture of Dorian Gray isn't funny, although quite excellent in its own right. He died tragically young in poverty.  His wife left him and changed their two sons' last name after he was thrown in prison for his promiscuous (by the days standard) behaviors.

For the Intro to Theatre class I am teaching this spring we read The Importance of Being Earnest.  I got to pick any play I wanted and since I really didn't want to get into all deep with Intro students and I was feeling in the mood to be a mite frivolous, I chose this one.  If you are wanting to read a play but don't think you like reading plays, this might be a good one to start with.

Although there are probably tomes written about the deeper complex issues dealt with in this  play, it all boils down to rich white people problems and how ludicrously the super wealthy elite of the late nineteenth/early twentieth centuries spent their time....easy to see how it translates to today.  Wilde is a super whiz at witty comments and plays on words...hence the title.  The story revolves around two girls who want to marry boys named Ernest and two boys who go about earnestly being Ernest.  Cucumber sandwiches and muffins are involved.

Utterly delightful.


(There is also a very funny movie made in 2002 starring Colin Firth and Rupert Everett and Dame Judy Dench....it is fantastic, but read the play first)

1 comment:

  1. I love this play and movie and Oscar Wilde. He's great. I'm actually planning on doing a joint review of the play and movie sometime soon. I guess I need to get on that.

    Just love the humor in this play though. "no cucumbers available...even for ready money." ;-)

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete