I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Book Review: The Grand Sophy

The Grand Sophy
by Georgette Heyer

This is my second foray in the world of Georgette Heyer...and although I know there are skeptics among you (I know I certainly was!), for the Austen gal who just needs a little more Austenesque love in her life, this author just might do the trick for you.

The heroine in the book is wonderful.  She is the kind of brash, wealthy, no-nonsense kind of gal you wish you could be.  Sophy lands in the middle of her cousins' lives and turns everything around.  She drives her older, mature cousin mad, she give a monkey to the younger ones, she plays match-maker all around--never seeking love for herself.  There are carriage rides, a grand ball, and discussions of inheritances and incomes.

She quickly sees that two of her cousins are engaged to the wrong people...and the meddling never stops.

She is fantastic. I can't say that the plot is original or that you don't know exactly what is going to happen, but given that I will read and watch Pride and Prejudice repeatedly wondering who will sweep Elizabeth Bennett off her feet...I guess that isn't the most important part of the book.  The characters are endearing and they are very busy indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment