I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Candy Man

Yesterday I watched a little neighbor boy for a bit who did not really want to be watched by me and wouldn't even look at me after I took him from his mother.  I tried to buy his love by letting him watch a movie...he settled on Madagascar and as he watched I was busy at my sewing machine making a "special" twirly white skirt for some Spanish dance Anna is doing in class Thursday (note to teachers: do not make parents come up with stupid stuff like white skirts...it won't matter).
Anyway, it got to the part in the movie where the zoo animals are captured in Grand Central Station and they use tranquilizer darts and the lion has these crazy hallucinations and they play the song "The Candy Man" by Sammy Davis Jr.  I've never noticed the song.  Perhaps because when you are actually watching the movie, it does all this crazy colorful drug induced kaleidoscope stuff, but since I wasn't watching, I only heard the music.
I love this song.  I did not grow up in a house with a lot of music, and spent a great deal of time at my grand parent's house with even less music.  But my grandma did have a record player and one record...this one.  I must have driven her to drink with my requests for her to play this song over and over again.  But as I heard it today, I was taken back 35 years to their house.  I could see the faux wood paneling (we're not fancy pants, no real wood paneling for us), I could see the star burst clock on the wall above the record player.  I could see the numerous dolls my grandma had on her "best" couch (the one with the plastic cover) with their crocheted outfits, I could smell the cigarette smoke and see Zsa-Zsa, my grandma's fat white chiuaua.  There were good times to be had in that house as long as you knew how to play go-fish and could listen to Sammy D on repeat-before repeat was just a button to be pushed.
So I looked up this YouTube video and discovered that the song hit #1 on the charts the year I was born.
And I also love candy, although when I think about what an actual candy man would look like I get a little creeped out.

Sammy rocks his plaid jacket.  And I had a hunch you could use a little 1972 cheer.
Who can make a sunrise?  The Candy Man.  The Candy Man Can.  Cause' he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good.


No comments:

Post a Comment