I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Book Review: Museum of Thieves


Museum of Thieves

Lian Tanner


This book was recommended for my son by one of our local librarians.  While I love our librarians, we’ve had a few recommendations that I was glad I had pre-read.  Finding books William will like, that will challenge him, yet are still age appropriate is sometimes difficult. 

This is a good one and the first of a trilogy called The Keepers.  And I think would be appropriate for ages 10-13.

The main character is Goldie, a twelve year old girl living in the city of Jewel set in an unknown time-period.
The city of Jewel is interesting.  They have eradicated most diseases, any dangerous animals, and are mainly interested in keeping the Children of Jewel safe.  All children are required to wear guardian chains; basically a manicle with a silver chain that is attached to an adult at all times until they are 12 where they go through the Separation Ceremony. 
At the start of the book, Goldie is at her Separation Ceremony when a tragedy happens and The Guardians (a group of people whose creepiness and power is high) decide not to separate the children in order to keep them safe and that is where Goldie flees and ends up at the Museum of Thieves.
The museum harbors all the relics of the past that the people have gotten rid of.

The book does harbor a rather overt message that children cannot be coddled or protected from everything, and that there needs to be a balance of good and bad in the world, which could be taken as political, but it didn’t bother me since I rather agree (to a certain degree).

No comments:

Post a Comment