I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits

I had a few people ask me for the recipe for my Buttermilk Biscuits.  They are sort of my speciality.  We eat these at Easter and Christmas instead of rolls, because they are pretty dang tasty.  Problem is, I think it may be technique....so I probably need a video.  ooooh...and a tag-line.  I could be the caffeinated chef.
Any who....I was taught how to make biscuits by a rather large and very skilled southern woman.  She also taught me to make fried chicken, only I never make that, because I really hate the smell of my house after frying food.  But my biscuits are legend. And they make the house smell delicious.

Buttermilk Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
4 Tbsp. vegetable shortening (I don't actually measure this, so I think my "guessimation" is generous)
1 cup buttermilk

Whisk flour, salt, baking powder and soda together.  Cut in shortening until crumbs are pea-sized.  Add buttermilk; mixing together until most of the flour is combined.  If there is a little flour at the bottom of the bowl, don't try to get it all in, you'll over mix these babies and they'll be tough.  Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and throw the left-over flour on top.  Knead the flour in...typically I roll the sides in and press in and then fold the top and bottom of my dough in and press into a ball and that is it.  DO NOT OVER-KNEAD.  Roll out to about 3/4-1" thick (we like em' thick and BIG) and cut out (I usually use a glass)and they are about 2 1/2" diameter).  Re-roll and cut as need, being careful not to knead any more than necessary to reshape.  Place on oiled baking sheet (or silpat) and let rest for 15-20 minutes or up to an hour (after this they start to get gray and taste fine, but are not as pretty).  Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.  Enjoy with copious amounts of butter and homemade jam.

*Editing note.  This is the original recipe, which, I must say does not make nearly enough.  What you see in the picture above is a double batch (I like em' big...).  When I made them last Christmas for a group with 8 adults and 6 kids I quintupled it....that's 5, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment