I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Book Review: There are No Graves As Yet


No Graves As Yet (World War One #1)





A good friend gave me this book to take to the beach with me.  I'll be honest.  I have heard of Anne Perry, and have seen her book-on-tapes available at Cracker Barrels so I wasn't really interested.  I adore this old friend, but her taste in books has always seemed suspect.  Am I a bit of a snob? Perhaps.

But she sold me on it with the phrase "historical fiction."  I am a sucker for historial fiction.  I am a very visual thinker and love to design the costumes for the book in my head while I read.  Because in the end, it is all about the dresses.  Always.

She also gave me a little of the author's backstory which included helping to murder her best friend's mother back in the 50's when she was just a teenager.  No kidding.  She than later came to the United States for a period of time where she joined the Mormon church.  No kidding.  This was the basis for the film Heavenly Creatures.  NO KIDDING.  Wikipedia it.  Seriously.

Surprisingly, I really like this book and will read more by this author.  A mystery, compelling characters, a historical setting which actually spotlights interesting tidbits of actual history, yet an easy read.  Very good beach/summer/vacation reading.

This particular book is the first in her World War I series of five books and begins just pre-war before anything has happened to the Arch Duke yet.  There is a mysterious incident which may have been an accident and the main character happens to be a broodingTheology professor at Oxford who himself seems to have a past riddled with sorrow.  The path to war in Europe is laid out for us and includes a romantic country manor, intrigue and what I assume were very good looking and earnest Oxford boys.



2 comments:

  1. Oh ye of little faith. I read crap books, but I also read very very good books. And everything in between. Trust me to know what is right for you. Ha hah!

    ReplyDelete