I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Book Review: The Magicians



The Magicians



I expected to like this book, but I really didn’t. I kept reading, hoping that I would find something appealing…but sadly, no.
 This is a book for Harry Potter fans that are all grown up and looking for something edgier.  I have a feeling my dislike for the book comes from what might be considered a “generational gap.”  In that maybe, just maybe I might be too old for young magicians smoking pot and having illicit sexual encounters…and you might be too.  But maybe not.
The plot is interesting, the characters less so. 
My biggest problem, other than not being the demographic readership, was that there were several key plot points that seemed critical to the growth of the main character what’s-his-name….wait, I’ll look it up….Quentin, and the author got it all revved up and then….bleh.
I think this is the first in a series, but I probably won’t go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment