I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Perfect Sunday Morning Pancakes

This morning we indulged in pancakes.
We love pancakes.
And they really are quite simple.

Here is our family's recipe, which, from what I understand is really really old.
They are pretty tasty.

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. cornmeal
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Sift together dry ingredients.  Beat together eggs, buttermilk and oil.  Mix the two together just enough to moisten the flour.  It should be lumpy.  Cook on a lightly greased griddle until bubbly on the top or brown on the bottom, then flip and cook the other side.  I find I usually have to turn these before they bubble, because they are rather thick.  I think this is because the consistency of modern buttermilk is different than it used to be.  Sometimes, depending on the buttermilk, I add a couple of Tablespoons of regular milk to "loosen" up the batter.

This is a pretty small batch.  It is just enough for 3-4 people.  I usually double it and freeze the leftover pancakes...this makes me popular on weekday mornings.  If I double it, I also use half wheat flour.  This makes me feel a little better about the fact that we then pour pure sugar water over it.

But they are tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment