I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Book Review: Midnight in Austenland

Midnight in Austenland
by Shannon Hale

I'm a fan of Shannon Hale, The Goose Girl, Princess Academy and The Bayern Books are all delightful.  That being said, they are for Young Adults, and this is the first of her books that I have read from her adult collection.  Apparently there is one called Austenland, that I have somehow missed in all things Austen, so I will have to go back and read that one...which means that if this book somehow builds upon that one, I missed it.  But I also love all things Austen, and for that alone, this book appeals to me, but in reality, there is very little allusion to Jane Austen's books or reference to her characters.

The book revolves around a character, Charlotte who is nice, but has just gone through a horrible divorce and is looking for some sort of reprieve.  She goes to an English estate where everything is as it would be if it were 1816.  It sounds great.  She is strapped into a corset,  assigned a "love interest" and learns to play whist. I want to go there.  But mainly for the clothes and the love interest.
It is clear that Ms. Hale was drawing upon the gothic romances that were popular at the time by constructing a sort of mystery story...but sadly, I have not read any of these and am not familiar, so my modern sensibilities were a little bored with the "mystery."

I am intrigued enough to possibly read some of the books Ms. Hale mentions in her research notes though.  Maybe beefing up on my gothic romance is just the ticket.  And I will also go back and read Austenland.


On another note, which is separate, but not entirely different.... another blogger, who is apparently tired of American women wishing for an English Man posted this earlier in the week.  I thought it sooooo funny, and thought you might too, that I'm going to share it here.

British Men

The Expectation























The Reality














1 comment:

  1. Austenland the original was a little better. I also just finished A at Midnight and wasn't as enthused as I was about the first one. Both are pleasureable reads, don't get me wrong, but neither will change your life forever, either. Great escapism though.

    There are lots of contraditictions in this post! Blame it on mommy brain...

    ReplyDelete