I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Book Review: Lunatics

Lunatics
Dave Barry & Alan Zweibel

This was my brain purge after my exploits into the Chinese Cultural Revolution.  I'm not sure how I heard about this book, or if someone told me about it, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first one to check this out from our little library (I LOVE being the first one to read a library book...new book smell mmmmmm.....), but I could not have chosen a book more perfectly opposite my last read.  And also it took me two days to read it.

First, let me preface this by saying that this book is not for children.  Or those with an effing revulsion to the F-word.

The book starts out with a preface that is basically an huge list of apologies to all the people, countries, and organizations that were affected by the events portrayed in the book, including, but not limited to Chuck E. Cheese, The U.S. Coast Guard, The SS Windsong, Cuba, black bears named Hansel & Gretel, and a helicopter pilot who got shot in the scrotum.

The "events" are then told by two opposing voices.  One of Phillip Horkman and mild mannered pet shop owner and suburban soccer referee and Jeffrey Peckerman a really really really foul mouthed forensic plumber with bad hygeine.  They each take their turn telling their story in their voice and their interactions lead to a multi-national "event" (I don't know what else to call it?).

You know when a small thing happens and it triggers another thing that triggers another thing and so on until the thing you end up with is not where you expected to be and it is much bigger than it should be considering where it started?  That is this book.

Once I was desensitized to all the effing words in the first two pages of the book, I giggled quite a bit. I think it will probably play well to male readers.   Easy read, funny...I wished I had saved this for the beach.

**Don't forget the give away this week!  I'm prepared to knit all the way through my vacation for you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment