I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Valentine for All





Happy Valentine's Day!
I know it is Valentine's Day because I have a 7 year old girl who was bouncing off the wall last night (I can't wait to see her all hopped up on candy this afternoon) and who picked out my outfit for me today so I would look appropriate on the day of love.  I am complete with a red cardigan and a large silver heart necklace that William picked out himself for me when he was 5.  I tried to balance out all this love fashion  with copious amounts of black eyeliner and my granny shoes.










One of our few Valentine's Day traditions at our house is the baking of the heart shaped sugar cookie.  I only make these beasts twice a year.  They are worth the wait.  I know other people will tell you their recipe is the best, but really this one is the best.  It is from an old edition of The Joy of Cooking (It is not in the most current edition of Joy, so I keep around my old book just for this recipe) and I  took pictures of the recipe and posted it below.  It is a bit heavy on technique, this recipe, but again...worth it.









I decided to try my hand at royal icing and "flooding" the cookies and then piping stuff on them-you know, cause it's pretty.  Usually I do the fluffy kind and it is pretty tasty, but not particularly good looking.  I found a pretty good tutorial from Pinterest (find it here) that shows you how to do it and also gives you a link to her favorite royal icing recipe.  I think I may have gotten my icing a titch thick, so I couldn't get them perfectly smooth, but still, I think they turned out quite nice.

And so, for all of you who love today, or hate today, or feel under-appreciated and not loved to your full potential, I have a cookie for you.  You just have to find me.  I will be distributing them willy-nilly throughout the day to those I come in contact with.  And if you know you won't run into me, but really really feel you deserve a cookie, let me know...we may be able to work something out.







One of my favorite cookbooks of all time



This is rolling out of the dough technique...worth it, I tell you.



4 comments:

  1. Those are the prettiest valentine cookies I've ever seen. I'm going to have to store these recipes for future reference! I'm always really daunted by sugar cookies but these make me want to try it. Happy Valentines Day! You'll be making the day brighter for lots of people with these lovelies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am still on a quest for pretty and pretty tasty icing though...this stuff is edible, mostly pretty.

      Delete
  2. As the fortunate recipient of a plate of these lovlies (today and in years past) I will say that the cookies are beyond divine. This year's frosting wins for prettiest. I actually think your first pick is my plate. Gorgeous. The the usual fluffy butter cream, however, is much more tasty. You know me--everything is better with cream cheese. You could try that sometime?? ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...and I have such a tough time deciding between tastiness and prettiness....MAYBE what I should do is start making sugar cookie sandwiches with the good stuff in the middle and the prett on top. That would be awesome...until people start falling over dead from sugar overload....at least I only make them twice a year?

      Delete