I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Things I Love part 5: Snow & Waffles


This morning I woke up on what looked like the wrong side of the bed.  I slept poorly and I have a painful knot under one of my shoulder blades.  BUT then I looked outside and saw SNOW!
I love waking up on a Lazy Sunday to snow best of all (see last Sunday's post on loving Lazy Sundays...).  Especially when I didn't know we were going to get any.  We haven't had much snow this year, and I have not really shoveled at all.  But when you wake up to it on a Sunday...you don't really have to do anything with it except enjoy how pretty it is.










William likes his straight up w/ butter and maple syrup
Given how I woke up I was going to give The Citizens cereal for breakfast, but an entire change of mood and a handful of Advil demanded something better.  And better at our house is usually waffles.

We have a "family" recipe that is pretty awesome.  I will include it below.  When we lived in Waffle House country people used to rave about them waffles, but I could never understand because our waffles at home were so dang tasty, so why would you want to get dressed to go to some really dingy diner filled with cigarette smoke and which also looked like it hadn't been cleaned properly this century when you could stay at home in your pajamas and have really really really good ones?  In clean air.

Anna is my strawberry & whipped cream gal
I like mine w/ peanut butter and maple syrup.  Do not judge until you have tried this.  It is amazing.
And will change your life forever.
I also like them w/ yummy blackberry syrup and a touch of cream....Oh heaven.



Things are looking up.


Here is the waffle  recipe:

La's Superior Waffles
4 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon corn meal
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 to 2/3 cup oil or melted butter (I usually only put about 1/4 cup in...)

Beat the egg whites until stiff (but not dry) peaks form.  In another bowl, beat together egg yolks and milk.  Sift or whisk together dry ingredients and add to milk mixture.  Beat well.  Stir in oil or melted butter.  Fold in egg white.  Cook in hot waffle iron.

3 comments:

  1. This is the waffle recipe that changed my life. I will have to try to churro-ize it.

    Source: Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe

    Amazing Overnight Waffles

    2 cups all pourpose flour
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 teaspoon yeast
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 cups milk
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    6 tablespoons vegetable oil (the recipe calls for melted butter, but I don't do that.)

    Combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk until blended. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap or a heavy plate and let stand ovenight at room temperature. (If it is warmer than 70 degrees, refrigerate the batter.)

    The next morning heat the waffle iron. Beat the egg and melted butter in the batter which will be quite thin.

    Cook the waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say porpoise flour. ;)

    ReplyDelete