I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Pillow Talk

For some reason I decided to try my knitting hands at home decor and cabling all at once.  This is my first attempt and although it has a few flaws I thought it turned out rather nice.  Nice enough to give to someone as a gift.  It is actually a set, but I only had one pillow form on hand...
I think I may make myself a chocolate set to go on my sea foam couch.  I'm rather in love with that color combo.
I found the pattern free online, but I can't find it now, and also it was in some Scandinavian language and also I messed with the pattern, so it really isn't that pattern anymore anyway.

But here is my version of the pillow.

I just made the front panel of the pillow.  I think it would probably look nicer if you knit it in the round or knit two panels and sewed them together, but I didn't.  It makes a 12" x12" panel when blocked and stretched.  Because it uses bulky yarn on large needles it works up really fast.


Four Cables Knit Pillow Panel

K-Knit
P-Purl
C6f-Cable 6 front: Put 3 stitches on the cable needle, keep in front of work, knit the next 3 stitches, knit the 3 stitches from cable needle.
C6b-Cable 6 back: Put 3 stitches on the cable needle, keep at back of work, knit the next 3 stitches, knit the 3 stitches from cable needle.
C4f-Cable 4 front: Put 2 stitches on the cable needle, keep in front of work, knit the next 3 stitches, knit the 2 stitches from cable needle.
C4b-Cable 4 back: Put 2 stitches on the cable needle, keep at back of work, knit the next 2 stitches, knit the 3 stitches from cable needle.


Materials: Super bulky yarn (I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease which is a wool/acrylic blend in super bulky weight; It took about 2/3 a skein per panel)
Large knitting needles size 15
Pillow form 12” x 12”
Pillow cover.  I bought some matching fabric and sewed a quick cover that I then stitched the cabled panel to all around the front edge.

CO 30

All Even Rows: k2, p6, k2, p4, k2, p4, k2, p6, k2

Rnd 1: p2, k6, p2, k4, p2, k4, p2, k6, p32
Rnd 3: p2, k6, p2, c4b, p2, c4f, p2, k6, p32
Rnd 5: p2, c6b, p2, k4, p2, k4, p2, c6f, p2
Rnd 7: p2, k6, p2, c4b, p2, c4f, p2, k6, p32
Rnd 9: p2, k6, p2, k4, p2, k4, p2, k6, p32
Rnd 11: p2, c6b, p2, c4b, p2, c4f, p2, c6f, p32
Rnd 13-36: Repeat rows 1-12 2 more times.
Cast off in stitch pattern.





1 comment:

  1. please can u tell me is the c4f and c4b working correct

    ReplyDelete