I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Happy Leap Day!



Not since Groundhog Day has a holiday been so eagerly looked forward to.  Perhaps it is because Anna has a kid in her class that is turning 2 tomorrow, or perhaps it is because this is the first Leap Day in their collective memory, but it is a big deal, I can tell you.  Big as in they want to know what special foods we are going to eat tomorrow.  I have no idea what kind of foods you should eat on Leap Day, but I need to choose carefully, because from here on out they will expect this same food as part of our family "tradition."  I made that mistake with green pancakes for St. Patty's a few years back, and now I am stuck with it.

I went-a-looking for leap year traditions, but sadly most of them revolve around women proposing marriage to men.  (And WHY on earth would I do that? I'd rather have an elaborate breakfast tradition...)
But I did like the way the Finnish did it--if the man refused the offer of marriage he had to buy her fabric for a skirt.  Awesome.  I guess new clothes made the rejection easier to deal with?



I don't know if you all are 30 Rock fans, but they had a super funny episode about Leap Year last week.  If you work with a lot of people who watch the show, you may want to make sure you wear blue and yellow tomorrow...
You can still catch it on Hulu.

Happy Leap Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment