I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Book Review: The Invention of Hugo Cabret


The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick

In December a friend had a bunch of free tickets to see The Invention of Hugo Cabret and I took the Citizens and we had popcorn and a marvelous time.  It was a lovely movie.
I do not mind movies that are made from books, but typically I am a member of the Read-it-first Club.  I made William read each Harry Potter book first before he was allowed to watch the movie...that's how we roll.  However, in this case we did it backwards, and to be truthful, it turned out OK.  Possibly because the book itself it so wonderfully illustrated.  Do not be daunted by the size of the book (if you get daunted by the size of books...) it is more than half full page illustrations.  Wonderful illustrations which the Hollywood movie makers clearly took into account when they made the film.  They did their thing alright and there were changes, but it would have been hard to take a book that gave you so much visually and change it completely.
William and I spent as much time looking over the detailed drawings as we did reading the story, which is also quite delightful.
I'm not going to give you a synopsis of this book, since you are probably familiar with it or may have seen the movie, but please don't ignore the book.  Delightful I tell you.
I would recommend this book to be read with children 7-10 (since that is the age of my kids and they loved it...you may find it reads well to children outside this range; I just know for certain that these ages work).
I also recommend it for you, because I thoroughly enjoyed it.





We borrowed the book, but this is one I'd like in my home library.  I can see us coming back to it again and again.

And if you'd like to watch the original Trip To The Moon film by George Melies go here.

For more about the Author Brian Selznick and his other books go here.

3 comments:

  1. Haven't read or seen it so I'm excited for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think all your kids would like it. It has a very long wait over at the library though...

      Delete
  2. I read this with the kids a while ago, and we all loved it, can't wait to go see the movie now. It is also featured on a show called The book report, with Elaine Charles, a lovely show, you can go to http://bookreportradio.com/, to go listen

    ReplyDelete