I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Multi-tasking

Burnt.  Burnt.  Burnt.
I'm a multi-tasker, as are you, I'm sure.  I do pretty well too....most of the time.
This pan here, however, is evidence that on rare occasion, I am not running on all cylinders.
I was trying to cook dinner for us and our neighbors and I thought "Hey!  You know what sounds good? Cooked chocolate pudding!"  I conscripted William to help me whisk it, but sadly the attention span of a 10 year old boy is not long enough to whisk for 20 minutes.  So I tried the thing where you run around the kitchen madly cooking 6 things all at once, and the pudding burnt.  Burnt BADLY.
I have burnt things before, but I'm not sure I've ever burnt chocolate pudding....and I cannot get the stuff off.  I can't decide if it is the milk or the chocolate or the combination (I keep thinking that if I knew, science would help me solve this problem).
So I'm asking for your help.
This is what I've tried: scrubbing w/ a nylon scrubber sponge.
Soaking.
Chipping away with one of those plastic scraper thingies.
Soaking.
Heating it back up and simmering it off.
Soaking.
I even went on You Tube and watched a video involving boiling baking soda and then scrubbing.
No go.
I really want to keep my pan...how do I get it off? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has burnt things nearly beyond repair.  Maybe.

And just for the record, the pudding did NOT turn out.  It was gross and burnt tasting.  I tried to fool the kids into thinking it was "mocha" and putting lots of whip cream on it.  In Anna's words it was "distgusting".

5 comments:

  1. I generally go for sprinkling dishwashing detergent into the pan, then just covering it with hot water. Then let it soak overnight. That usually works for me.
    I've also heard of using baking soda and peroxide, but never tried it on something like this.
    Oh, and here's another one (via quick search on Pinterest) http://oklahomahomemaker.blogspot.com/2012/01/burnt-pan-solution.html
    that just uses water and vinegar. I love vinegar for cleaning!
    Good luck. I hate it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey buns, I know you'd LIKE to keep your pot, but the best way to fix this problem is to get a new one. That was actually the best way before you tried the 10 other ways. And it you do it right, kinda like when a goldfish goes belly up, but you somehow manage to get an identical one before the kids notice, if you do it right like that, YOU'LL never notice that it's a new pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waaaahhhhh! I don't think I can replace this pot. It is part of a set. And this was my favorite size. Boo.

      Delete
  3. What brand is the set? What size is the pot? Just asking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuisinart. Middle size. But it is about 10 years old. I guess I should be glad I've had an entire set that long and this is the first one I've ruined...but I'm very sad. Nostalgic sad. That pot & I...we've seen some good times. Good food. *sob*

      Delete