I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all

My photo
I'm a costume designer, makeup artist, teacher, mom, sewer, knitter, baker, want-to-learn-how-to-do-it-all, blogging, Costumed Beagle enthusiast. I am not always pleasant, although through intensive cupcake therapy I have learned not to throw knives at people anymore.

Friday, January 20, 2012

I Rock This Mommy Track Suit

So I work "professionally", as in, away from home usually twice a week.  Those are the days I teach and I do try to look like a person who knows what they are talking about.  I do my hair, wear some eyeliner and skirts and cardigans and such.

The other three days are divided among my other jobs...my freelance work, prepping for the teaching days, an occasional substitute teaching gig, being the one and only chef/cleaning lady/errand runner/chauffer/mom person in our house.  Oh, and I also try to fit in a bit of exercise here and there.

They are all busy days.  So busy, I have learned a lovely technique called prioritization where-in I don't always get to some things because they are not so very important.
I call this one "A Study in Taupe"
Like looking good.  I can't and quite frankly, refuse to look perfect all the time.  I see moms who do it.  Busy moms.  Moms who must value looking good over seemingly unimportant things like sleep.

So I don't.  On the days I work at home, after a nice hot shower washing the nasty boot-camp gym away from me, I slip into what I like to call my "sexy mommy track suit".  Once upon a time I laughed in the face of these little gems.  Now I have them, and I must say, I rock them.  I rock them in my ability to feel comfortable, warm (in the winter), and unabashedly brazen in public with my hair in a pony tail and not even a smidgen of makeup on.

Anna, my little darling, noticing my consistent choice of casual wear, asked a couple of weeks ago, if I "ever even washed them." I guess because I have them on so much they couldn't possibly cycle through the wash...

I will sometimes run into people I know...and you know what?  I don't care.  I'm a real gal with real important things to get to.  I've a list of things to accomplish and I'm a much nicer person when I get an appropriate amount of sleep.  So on with mommy track suits.
As a matter of fact, I'm wearing one right now.

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%. More, if possible. I don't have any track suits (sad story, I know) but I do my best. I'd much rather have enough sleep to be a decent mother than have enough makeup to look like an indecent one!

    ReplyDelete